What's your idea for The Knot?

Privacy settings

I would love it if when you hit for your wedding website to not show up in google search it would actually work. I think better privacy settings would greatly be appreciated.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alli Amrhein shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminMeuy (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback. We continue to work with Google, as the main search source, to see how this process can be faster. Right now they still tell us it takes 7-28 days for items to be removed once populated on their sites. I am glad you took time to send this over as it does help us in our quest to get this done as fast as possible for our members.

Enjoy your planning.
    Keri

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're eloping, so I'm using The Knot for planning help, but I don't want others to be able to find information about us by accident until after the wedding. I'm excited to use The Knot afterwards, but it would be great if there was an option to keep things hidden until we were ready to "launch" the information!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given that it takes 30 days for a wedding website to disappear from search engines, you should provide a prompt at start up, asking if the couple would like to appear in search engines, rather than assuming that they would. For me, this is a pretty concerning surprise that we are searchable by our full names (even though I deliberately did not post our last names anywhere), and that it cannot be turned off in a timely fashion. I've changed the URL and removed our last names from the 'Basic Info' behind-the-scenes data but the result for our website still comes up in searches and forwards to our new URL, rather than being a broken link to our old URL, as desired. Users should be proactively warned and given the opportunity to make an informed decision about something so personal and potentially impactful. There are so many reasons why people would not want to have their wedding website come up on a search engine results page for their full name - professional, safety-related [stalkers, abusive exes, etc], privacy-related, etc - it would be so much more considerate and a better customer-oriented practice for it not to default into this very public setting with impacts that cannot be immediately reversed.

• Sondra Langley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is seriously a problem. I turned off being able to find my website over a year ago and I STILL FIND MY SITE THRU SEARCH. I just noticed this and I am outraged. I made my registries private yet I found them listed still thru The Knot connection. And it connected to the wedding website from there. I only made the site because people coming to the wedding wanted the information but I am super upset that my request was completely ignored and I still found it in the search engine. I'm mad at myself for just noticing but I made everything private months ago. But I'm more outraged at the inability for The Knot to honor they're options with not allowing it to appear in search engines.

• hhmcdonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are pulling a private registry from Target that is showing up in Google searches. I set my Target registry to private because the engagement hasn't been announced yet. But The Knot is not honoring my privacy request. I have since deleted the Target registry since somehow your site is finding it. I have sent a private message requesting you remove it immediately, but I will definitely not being using The Knot now knowing your lack of respect for privacy settings.

• Monica Lobner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a way to prevent the wedding website from going live before it is finished. When someone searches for our wedding website they see that my fiances last name is misspelled, even though it is spelled correctly in my account. I am trying to give you guys time to correct that issue, but if guests search for us, they will think that I don't know how to spell his name, which is very embarrassing! I've made the website private so that nobody can find it from google, but that's going to take almost a month, and anyone who knows about your site will be able to find our website. I don't want anyone to see the work in progress, and not just for the typo issue.

Hi there,

I am newly engaged and have set up an account with the Knot. I have shared information on this site such as my wedding date and location. I have not shared this information on any other site. I have been bombarded with e-mails from a Felicia Leicht at 'The Pros Wedding.' Upon opening one of these e-mails, I find that this website has set up a PUBLIC page for me in my name with all of this information already entered in. At the bottom of the page, I find the logo from The Knot in plain view. I have contacted this site to take down all of my information immediately as I see it as an enormous violation of my privacy. I am now contacting you as a disgruntled customer. As a company that prides itself on customer privacy, I am extremely upset at the sharing of my information and find it reckless on your part to do so. I suggest that you also contact whoever it is that you know at The Pros to make sure that their affiliation doesn't ruin your reputation as I will be sharing this information so that others are aware and approach your website with much more caution than I did.

I couldn't agree more! The first Google search result turned up my wedding Registry and details... certainly not as advertised on the site. There are MANY circumstances that warrant privacy. If you advertise this, it should be policy.

• Tee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the site should not be visible until we decide ourselves we want the site to go live

It's so embarrassing, so pressurising and turned things ugly!

I am so upset about this and has ruined our plans!

This is unbelievable

• Jen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't wait 30 days to be able to put information into my webpage. I am going to have to create a website through another provider now. Such a simple thing, having the default no you could instantly change to a yes but having people wait 30 days is stupid.

• Juliekiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am disturbed that as much I know, my website is exposed to anyone who wants access despite the privacy settings that I've used. You should fix that. There are still people in this world who value their privacy.

• Dayna Hawkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Keri, does this mean we have to specifically request that we do not want our photos to show up in google searches? I was wondering myself recently when i was a little alarmed that our personal photos and save the date pics were in google when I searched myself.

Feedback and Knowledge Base