What's your idea for The Knot?

Guest List "parties" and Seating Chart

I'm sorry, but this new website rollout has to be one of the worst managed transitions I have ever seen - taking what is already stressful for most of us to a whole new level! Whoever walked into a staff meeting and said, hey ya'll I have a great idea, let's take a good thing and completely ruin it!...should be forced to spend 10 minutes with us disgruntled brides/grooms...and then they should be fired. I spent hours having to completely rebuild my website that I had already spent a ton of time working on, and I would have left theknot altogether once I saw the disaster, but I paid for the domain! But I'll save all that for another comment once I have less colorful language to use...

Guest List - the "parties" option was one of the most helpful features of the guest list. Please bring this back. Sending out my save-the-dates was a breeze; I knew exactly how many to order and addresses exported exactly how I had typed them. With the "upgrade" (not even close to an upgrade), I lost apartment numbers and addresses autocorrected to the WRONG information. How is this even possible? But most annoyingly, it deleted all of the parties. By the time I sent out invites, I had to go through and count the number I needed, often reorganizing the excel spreadsheet to make any measure of sense (that is, when I finally got it to export).

...which ties into the Seating Chart - categories of guests disappeared as well (I mean, so did the ENTIRE seating chart). I no longer have the option to sort guests into family, college friends, fraternity brothers, whatever. I was so looking forward to using this feature when it came time to create a seating chart. I experimented with it a while back to make sure it would work for my needs - and it did! But now it has disappeared. I read theknot's response to another comment on this, and you say it was removed because most people didn't use it. But honestly guys, you have to realize that some people half-*** it when it comes to using your tools. And the rest of us? We used all of the tools and we were 100% committed before you yanked the rug out! This has to be painfully clear based on all of the negative feedback you've received ever since the switch.

tl;dr Please bring back Guest List "parties" and "categories" - and the Seating Chart! And fire the person who lit a match to all that goodwill you had built with your old site.

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michelle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminKeri (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

I really appreciate you taking time to send this feedback. We have heard from quite a few members some of the same struggles you have expressed here. We are working on bringing back some of the features that were most loved and used. I will say that the reason some were not on the first edition of the new guest list manager is that they were not used by many of our members (like the seating chart).

But, we do hear your frustration and are working on how we can bring some of this function back. It is going to take some time, but it is being worked on now.

Thanks for sharing your frustration. We appreciate that you are already planning a wedding and need less stress in all these other areas.

Keri

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can I not find the seating chart tool? I read through the comments and it says that you have it up again. I typed in the url listed and it does not work. That seating chart feature is the last thing I need to plan my wedding.

• Elissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! I think the guest list manager is great for collecting addresses and checking the guest list. One thing that I think it is lacking is a guest seating manager option were you could sort the guests onto a seating chart. Are you thinking of adding one to the app/website?
        Thanks

• Killeen McClowry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the guest list "parties," it would be really nice to have a changeable name field for the parties. For example, if "John Doe" and "Jane Doe" are in John Doe's party, I would be mailing the save-the-date and invitation to "Mr. & Mrs. John Doe". Conversely, if "John Doe" and "Jane Smith" are in John Doe's party, I would be mailing the save-the-date and invitation to "John Doe and Jane Smith". As it stands now, I had to export the list, separate the address into the various fields (address1, address2, city, state, zip/postal code, country), and then create a "mailing name" for each party. It was rather tedious.

• Jo Dobrowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either integrate or have some sort of export function between the RSVP / Guest list on The Knot and AllSeated's floorplanning and seating planner.

• Samantha Hatfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel ya. The responses from The Knot staff saying these major major downfalls of a WEDDING WEBSITE GO-TO will be fixed 'in 2016' is about as helpful as the website updates.

• Hoopismylife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting for the seating chart to be update. It's a shame this hasn't been more of a priority

• Dani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On your old site, the table configuration tool was AMAZING! I was also able to create different categories (like who needs kippot) to organize my guests and numbers. I love the new website and tools, but I miss the old guest management options!

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your response!

The old seating chart was labor intensive, which is probably why you saw low usage rates. Having to drag and drop every single thing onto a grid was cumbersome. But it was still an available option, and based on the feedback here, it was used by some of your more vocal members.

It would even be helpful to have the option to assign a guest to a table number, so that guests can then be organized by table number, and that information is exported with the full guest list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base