What's your idea for The Knot?

It's weird that registry partners automatically give The Knot registry information

I get that it might be convenient for Knot users to have their registries automatically added to The Knot, but it would be really nice if it's something where you very visibly opt-in, rather than having it be a default. It feels invasive and, frankly, a bit creepy.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Erek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminKeri (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

We really thank you for taking the time to send this over. All of our registry partners put this information in a different place to let members know they are going to publicly share your information with The Knot. We are working with each partner to make sure this is clear moving forward. We are also looking at how we can make this more private even when it is shared with us so you, as the member, can opt in when you choose.

We hope to see changes in this field later this summer.

XO,
    Keri

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • hhmcdonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are pulling a private registry from Target that is showing up in Google searches. I set my Target registry to private because the engagement hasn't been announced yet. But The Knot is not honoring my privacy request. I have since deleted the Target registry since somehow your site is finding it. Not happy about this. I've sent a private request to request that you immediately take this down from the site to get it off Google searches as soon as possible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In agreement with the other commenters. There is absolutely no indication that this will happen, and it feels like a huge violation when it's not ready to share but is suddenly plastered all over without your consent.

Keri, you make it sound like its the partner's fault for not being up front about the practice. Yet the issue is not with having your info shared (it's how you pay for your "free" website after all), the issue is TK advertising the information publicly, without consent or forewarning, in a way that makes it appear like it was posted by the user.

It's not cool when spammy apps post to your social media, and it's not cool when you do it.

• Chelseymtelliard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not agree more! Creepy is an understatement. It has actually caused me a lot of issues. We never signed up to use the knot. We actually paid for a quality custom website. Additionally, the registry platform we chose to use was a universal platform that is also paid. The knot took our information and makes it show up on google without our permission. This has confused our guests and caused duplicate gift information or old outdated registry information to show up. I have reached out to the knot to have this information that I NEVER wanted displayed removed and it still showing up when you google our names. I am very frustrated that we went out of our way to ensure our guests receive custom curated information directly from us and your free platform I never intended to use is interfering with that.

• lauren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Geez, I second this- INVASIVE and CREEPY is right! I really do not appreciate my information automatically being posted online! I never would have signed up for this myself, nor would I have EVER advertised my registry information. I have deleted my Anthropologie registry account, since they are the offenders here, and will not be making any future purchases from them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base