What's your idea for The Knot?

Adding free-text items into the checklist

I have some checklist items that don't appear on theknot checklist. Is there no way to add free-text items?

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bethany shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminKeri (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

We hope that you will find most of your additional items already in our list under the Add Items section. We do not have a free-text way to input items in the system. Honestly, this was because when we did a test a couple of years back we found people were entering items already found on our list. Hopefully, we can continue to make it easier to find that what you need is already there.

Let me know if there are common planning tasks that you are not finding and I can be sure to ask the team to consider adding those to the available list for all members.

XOXO,
    Keri

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anthony Lam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not everyone's wedding is the same. There are so many variations and traditions. I am having trouble finding a lot of "tasks" or certain tasks I need to complete but they are not listed. This is the fact that I am not having a traditional "American" wedding.

This feature would be nice but like someone else said, you should be able to "search" for a task, which you guys already have, but add it if it appears to not be listed.

• Emily Park commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe doing something like you have here on the forum would work: As someone types in an item, similar pre-existing ones show up to add. Then if it's still needed, someone can add the item. Sometimes it is hard to find a specific checklist item out of all 200+ things.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm disappointed in this. I like every feature except this and Wedding Wire does allow it. I like your site backgrounds better, but I need the ability to have my own checklist otherwise I have to keep an additional one to what's on the site. Surprising the feature was removed.

• Lindsay Shahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the ability to add my own item to the to-do list like - "Get your dog groomed". There are options I want on my To-Do list that you do not offer.

Thanks,

Lindsay

• Kelcie Marquardt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. The Checklist is BY FAR my favorite feature on the Knot. I use it just about every day - the timing is proving to be perfectly accurate.

But, my wedding festivities are between three different cities - our families are very spread out - and there are many unique issues & events that I would love to add into my Checklist.

Also, sometimes items just aren't specific enough. For example, under "Make a Beauty Plan" or "Make a Fitness Plan" I can easily add notes under but it gets lost in the shuffle as soon as I check off as "complete." Would love to add specific things under each month after I make the plan.

• Jill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be super helpful. Weddings are becoming more unique and brides have additional needs than what is listed. This is my biggest annoyance with theknot.

I delete all the tasks that don't pertain to me, but I would like to add ones that are not listed, but do pertain to me.

I've had to include/not check off tasks and write in the notes what they're really for...

• Jhenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would appreciate being able to add my own items to my checklist. We are hosting events for out of town guests for the 2 days following the wedding. There is a lot of planning and coordinating that I would like to have on the checklist and the budgeting tool.

• Alicia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the ability to add custom to-dos with custom dates is important and useful basic functionality for an app that helps with planning. There are many tasks that I have for my wedding that don't fit neatly into the available checklist items and I find that deeply frustrating. For instance, my fiance and I would like to make wine for the reception. That's something that isn't appropriately covered under that DIY items or their suggested dates.

It's incredibly helpful to have a pre-set list with a suggested timeline and typical to-dos, but these should be more editable to make more sense within each couple's own context, and we should be able to make our own as well.

• Bethany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can appreciate that. The one I most recently came across was to arrange for buying alcohol. My venue does not have a liquor license, so we are responsible for purchasing and bringing our own.

Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base