What's your idea for The Knot?

Budget Tool and Seating Chart

I'm not on board with the new budget tool/checklist/vendor list. The layout is very confusing, particularly with the budget tool. I wish there were a way to input the actual amount spent, and if it it less than recommended, the extra money not spent could be redistributed to a different category(ies) of my choice. I also use WeddingWire, and I really like their budget tool because it is set up that way, but I'm not crazy about the layout of their wedding websites/guest list manager. Perhaps I would only need to use The Knot if the budget tool were more useful in a real life sense. I think couples generally will categorize their personal priorities for their budgets; allowing the budget amounts to be reallocated to their liking would make it much more usable in a practical way.

On a side note, I think a seating chart feature would be super helpful. I do not want to get a posterboard and move pins around when working my seating chart. It would be much each easier if a feature could be added so users can create a mock-up of their reception space and move tables/guest seats, similarly to WeddingWire's seating chart feature.

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminKeri (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

I really appreciate you taking time to send over this review of our budgeting product and the checklist in general. We are still working on updating this part of our site so that it is something all couples feel they can use and it will be in a format that makes sense and is helpful. I have already sent your feedback along to our Product Design team for them to look at this and make sure they take it into consideration as we move forward. We hope that you are able to find The Knot is a great tool for your planning needs and that we continue to add things that will enhance the process for you.

XOXO,
    Keri

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bobbi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A seating chart tool would be helpful! to have it linked to the guest list manager as well, would be even better! that way we can organize the list into tables, as well as households.

• Toni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely love your site, but the budget tool is not actually helpful. I see others have asked that the amounts update and reallocate based on the things you've put actual amounts in for. This is super important when you find a great deal and want to see how everything else changes because of it. Example - our ceremony and reception are in the same place.Our venue is far below the reception recommendation that we ended up with but more than the ceremony site recommendation so I listed the cost under reception and marked the ceremony site as being free ($0). It would be so wonderful to see the other numbers adjust to the "extra" money that we have based on those savings. Thanks!!!

• Victoria Sibalich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I immediately turned to The Knot for all my wedding planning! It has been so helpful up until this point. Now that I am in the 5 month stretch, it is time to plan the seating chart... but to my surprise, there is no seat chart planner on the site! Even sites like Wedding Wire have seating chart apps.

There should be a seating chart option that allows us to use our Guest List to fill it in for easy, simplified planning!

Now I have to either join Wedding Wire or make my own post board. :(

• Emily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really dislike the new wedding budgeter. I'm sure there's value to having it somehow tied to the checklist, but it's much more confusing as it is now. I'd strongly prefer it revert back to how it was before. Or maybe you could have the option to view it one way or the other. In the new version, it's very difficult to see, at a glance, what you're spending per topic (example, ceremony as a whole, music as a whole, etc). I also preferred to see the recommended prices and the actual money spent side by side. Really, the old version just felt way more user friendly. I really liked it. Now, in the current form, I feel like I need to use another site or come up with my own version. .

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you could add back a seating chart, that'd be great. I'm switching to WeddingWire if you don't add it before I send out invitations because I might as well do everything in one place if you aren't going to let me do it here.

Feedback and Knowledge Base