What's your idea for The Knot?

Website changes to Guest List Manager -

The new change of ONLY being able to see the guest list by household and NOT being able to organize it by a guest's RSVP is VERY frustrating and limiting to the usability of the manager.

It's also VERY unappreciated that this change came unannounced. I am getting married in less than two weeks, and having this change implemented at this point in time is very frustrating. Yes, I was able to export my contact list, but it also means that I'll be that much less likely to use The Knot from here on forth.

96 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Catherine A Provost shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so glad I'm not the only one frustrated by this release! The admin notes "these improved features should be available within the next month on your account.".... that's great and all, but in a month I will no longer need to use Guest List Manager since my wedding will have come and gone. Very unfortunate for us October 2018 brides!!!

• Katelynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This change to the Guest List feature did nothing productive or efficient. It is now a headache to work with and was far better in its previous form. This should have been worked out in dev and not put into effect until this change could happen quickly, with minimal interruptions for the user. Sorting is a necessary function for this tool, and exporting a list is just making me wonder why I didn't simply create a Google Sheet in the first place.

Also the lack of that beautiful, easy +1 check box is a pain. Especially after having it. Definitely not an upgrade.

• Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE update!!! Devs should have left an option to use the original UI while the features to the new one are still being implemented. It's a nightmare to follow up each guest RSVP status without having to annoyingly download a new spreadsheet every time you want to check!!!

Please give us the original UI back, to wait a few weeks until the new features are implemented will be too late for most of us!!!

• N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please revert this back to the original UI where guests were listed individually. Wedding is happening soon and the current UI is inflexible and a nightmare. Would appreciate a soft launch period with choice of reverting to prior UI. I can't tell which non respondents I need to chase/ can't sort by RSVP.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to the forum page looking to see if anyone else felt the same way about the new guest list features, and I am glad I'm not alone.

I didn't see anything wrong with the way it was before, and I wish it would be changed back. There were so many sorting options before, and now there are next to none. Our wedding is in only 3 weeks, and I'm just trying to see who hasn't RSVP'd. The household names suck, like others have mentioned.

Nobody should have to export their guest list just to avoid using the website, that makes no sense at all. There's no reason to create an update that drives people away from your website.

Change it back please!

• Sophie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely, absolutely agree with this!

Every household name being grouped by the last name is also extremely inconvenient for wedding parties with big families. "Smith household, Smith household, Smith household"... The original household grouping that allowed you to see everyone, their individual RSVPs and their meal choices without having to drop down each menu. Bummer!

• Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree!!! I am now regretting my choice to use the knot to track my rsvps and would not recommend it to friends. To not be able to short my guest list by response with only a couple weeks to go for RSVPs is incredibly irritating. Further, the household function is really unhelpful given the many same names and that we did not have the same types of contact information for every one.

• Tia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate it!!!! Signed on today and found that awful update. Please change it back!!!

• Rick Steele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree!! the new household list is not well thought out. We have multiple, multiple households with the same last name that you have to click on individually to see who it actually is.

• Rick Steele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently guests are adding their own information - some that were not even invited. It appears guest cant find their names on the list. If we had know the site was this poorly constructed we would have looked at other options, but it is too late now. New format today makes it hard for even us to find folks on the list.

• Katie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I loved the old format and the ability to filter by response type. The new functionality is useless. Please change it back.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new format is a nightmare to navigate. I agree. We are ****** and would have rather just made our own spreadsheet. The site we had yesterday worked great. The change with no notice is super frustrating. Hopefully with all the negative feedback they will revert back

• Elizabeth Hofferber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why change the guest manager in the middle of me using the website. I do not want to view my guest by their households(especially if you can’t edit the household without adding and deleting a who,e bunch of times to just get it right)..I want to see a list of my guests. No households, no complications, JUST GUEST NAMES AND IF THEY ARE ATTENDING. It DOES NOT have to be as complicated as you are making it out to be. I LITERALLY had my guest list format changed while using it, what the heck? I’ll just use a spreadsheet next time and skip this...even the exported version of the list is extremely complicated...

• Tessa Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they also removed the option to add a +1 for guests.There used to be an allow +1 box you could simply check for individual guests that you wanted to give a +1 and now it has disappeared. Not having that box is a nightmare

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What have you done!!! OMG - I can't delete people from a household without deleting them entirely. I can no longer quickly see what events they're invited to and what events I'm hiding from them but are visible to others. You rearrange things and then took away so many features. Bad bad bad

• Victor Caceres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more thing, for households where some (but not all) guests have RSVP'd, it is now near impossible to find the guests that haven't RSVP'd by using the UI. I'm not sure who the PM was who was padding their resume with this fluff update, but they probably should have considered a soft rollout with the option to revert to the classic view (like how Google approaches updates) before forcing people into this horrible user experience.

• Victor Caceres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100% with Catherine. This UI update did not improve the user experience of this feature at all. The new workflow results in the following challenges that were not present pre-rollout:

1) User can no longer sort by RSVP status. This restricts the user from easily sorting to find out who has / hasn't RSVP'd and makes the process more challenging. Now the user must export their guest list and sort in Excel. Given the variability of users for this site, requiring them to all use Excel this way is assuming that everyone is a strong enough Excel user to be able to sort and manage data with that tool. This could pass for (some) business enterprise software, but certainly not for a product facing the general public.

2) User can no longer clearly see the RSVP status of each guest. If the user does not want to proceed with that tedious task, they now needs to expand each household to see the guests' status. Again, this creates the challenge of having to export a .csv to make the data housed in TheKnot useful.

At this point, it would probably be easier to manage my guest list on a Google Sheet, but I already set up my wedding website through The Knot with the online RSVP feature active. It would be easier to have people mail in their RSVPs and manually manage a spreadsheet after this update.

Feedback and Knowledge Base