What's your idea for The Knot?

[Budgeter] I have ideas for the future Budgeter.

I think the new look of the site is great. It feels more organized and the design is cleaner and easier to understand. This makes for a much better user experience. I would just like to comment on some functionality when you do update the Budgeter tool. It would be great if once you put in an "actual" amount, it would re-calculate and recommend how to re-organize the budget. For example, the Budgeter is recommending spending $500 on my wedding band. However, I know my wedding band is going to cost at least $1000. It would be great if I could enter that information and it would re-calculate the budget for me. Also, it would be great to be able to add more than actual cost to the same line item so if I buy a necklace, earrings and bracelet under Bride's Accessories I could see each of those costs.

158 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JillianJillian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  MeuyAdminMeuy (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

Hi and thank you so much for taking the time to send your feedback! We really appreciate the thoughtful feedback on the future Budgeter.

We’d love to hear more of your thoughts on the Budgeter and other future tool improvements. If you would be interested in scheduling a 30 minute feedback session, please contact me directly at ideas@xogrp.com.

If you’d like to access your old budgeter, please make sure you are logged in to The Knot. Then, go directly to: http://planning.theknot.com/wedding-budget.

Thanks again!

Krista

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrienne TownsendAdrienne Townsend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! The Knot recommends that we spend a certain amount on my gown but I paid a lot less but it didn't recalculate any of the other part of the wedding. The only thing this budget calculator is for is to keep a running count of how much you spend total.

• KerryKerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I have certain segments of the budgeter that I would like to remove completely because they don't apply to my wedding, yet my total budget it getting distributed to these sections as well!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the whole I love the budget help, but there is an issue I'm having that I wonder if others have. As the wedding is coming together I have friends who are gifting significant aspects to us. For instance our wedding cake is going to be free, as well as our DJ but I can't enter $0.00 or remove them from the budget so the money can be placed in other places we'd like to put it, so I'm searching for a different budget app that can do what we need it to do. I'd love to have EVERYTHING with just The Knot so I don't have even one more site to keep track of.
        Thanks
        Dana Kinney

• AimeeAimee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really appreciate being able to change the numbers in "recommended budget." It recommends spending $500 on wedding bands but I know it will be $2,000 and I won't pay for a photographer because a friend is doing it. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to change anything now, which makes it kind of useless. I will have to create an Excel sheet instead. :(

• RaquelRaquel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The budgeter is very helpful and I love that it estimates totals based on average expenditure. However, it would be great if the user could exclude or input negative amounts into some of the suggested lines.

For example, our reception music will be provided by friends, so rather than leaving the suggested amount unaccounted for, I'd like to remove that line, or input a negative dollar amount. That way, the estimated expense can be redistributed to another category.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow me to adjust recommended budget and adjust for guest count. For example; my fiance is allergic to flowers so we won't need them but there's a recommended budget for that category, then the rest of the recommended would adjust depending on how much we would then have available of our total budget amount.

• VictoriaVictoria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please separate reception venue cost and reception rentals cost since not all venues provide rentals. Also, my ceremony and reception is in the same place under the same cost, but I don't know about the rentals yet, so the current set up inconvenient. Also, I would like it to recalculate how the money should be spent after I enter a certain amount. This is because I know I will be spending more on one thing than the budgeter recommends. I really feel that 1800 for a photographer is too low for a budget of 30k. Honestly, it would be awesome if more items could be added to the budgeter and it was more in depth. Thank you! Great idea, but I would like little modifications.

• AndreaAndrea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to change your spending priorities or amounts would be huge. I already have a dress that isn't counting toward budget, and I'm being gifted a DJ, so those two big expenses take away from my venue/catering cost which is where that money is going. I wish I could put in $0 amounts for those items, and it would redistribute the money elsewhere. The recommendations are a good place to start, but not everyone has the same priorities!

• MaryMary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate the budgeter, but I know that I won't be spending some money in certain categories and would instead spend it in others. I want to be able to change the expected budget, or have a separate entry for what I will set my budget to, separately from the budget you recommend. Just because you recommend a budget does not mean that it works for every person.

• Dayna HartDayna Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if there was a payment tracker in the new budget so I could see how much I have payed toward the total cost of an item. I found that really helpful when the old budget was in place.
        Also I don't like that you can't add stuff to the budget. Not everything you buy for wedding fits under the cut and dry categories that you have listed.

Add the payment tracker. I know it says that the website will be coming out with one soon, but when exactly? I've been waiting months for this feature to come out. I hardly use the Knot for planning right now because I need the payment tracker. I'm tempted to use another website for this feature because I don't see the point of having a Knot account when I can't use it like I need to.

My parents are paying for parts of my wedding and I am paying for other parts. I need two budgeters--one for my folks and one for myself. Lots of people have this issue. I set up a second Knot account so I could have two budgeters. Not a great experience!! Thank you.

• TiffTiff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be more helpful if the "budgeter" tool counted downward instead. For example, If I say I have a 7000$ budget and I already spent 7500$ It should say -500.00$. That way I know how much under or over budget I am or will be. And maybe it can be Red when negative and Green when positive to incourage those to stay in the green.

BTW: the numbers seem Unrealistic, where are these statistics found?

• JillianJillian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check out the budgeter from WeddingWire.com. It's great that you can change the estimated costs as well as add specific things under each category. If you remove a cost, it asks if you would like to distribute that amount across all the items or against a specific item. This is a great feature. It's also nice to be able to see the estimated, actual, amount paid and amount due all on one page. You can also add/delete categories. However, I do think it's missing the area where you enter how many guests and attendants.

Feedback and Knowledge Base