What's your idea for The Knot?

[General] The Knot should be more conducive to same-sex weddings.

I am in a lesbian relationship and getting married in May. I have been using your checklist, budgeter, and other parts of your website, and for the most part it is very helpful. However, one complaint I have is that I have to modify everything to remove the "groom" aspect and restructure it for two brides. It seems like this would be a fairly simple fix of having an alternative checklist for same-*** couples, probably one for men and one for women. I know The Knot tries to be inclusive but this is a pretty big oversight in terms of the structure of being inclusive.

235 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GretchenGretchen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  MeuyAdminMeuy (Admin, The Knot) responded  · 

Hi and thank you so much for getting in touch about this! It is feedback we’ve heard before and have plans to address the language issue.

We do want to be inclusive and make all of our users happy! We are continually making improvements and really appreciate you taking the time to send your feedback!

I will be in touch with updates!

Krista

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John ShrewsburyJohn Shrewsbury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at the dates on these messages, you have had plans for a while. When will you actually do something about it. I was just looking at wedding cake toppers on the Knot shop and there are no same gender toppers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - working on ours now and surprised there are no settings to "switch" to two grooms. Many of the "To Do's" are geared toward assumptions of the bride and what the woman would take on and many "To Do" task items don't even include tasks that the groom should do and/or two gay men need to consider.

• Benjamin Formaker-OlivasBenjamin Formaker-Olivas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My fiance and I are both men, so half of the site being tailored to wedding dress ideas isn't particularly helpful. By being able to enter genders or at least check off what type of content we want to see, we could have a more personalized experience.

Here here. Just spent an hour removing all "groom" todo items and verbiage around my settings. They should make a todo item for that. :D

• Ozzie HOzzie H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen. Gay couple here and I am probably not going to be using The Knot because of this matter.

• Betsy-Jane LynchBetsy-Jane Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a problem
        :(
        So much for being a planned update. Looking through a photos of a wedding with two brides and they all tagged bride and groom.

I have you tell you that using this website has been incredibly frustrating for me. We are two grooms that recently got married. I signed up for The Knot because I was told this was the best website to you. Much to my chagrin, there is no option for two grooms (or two brides) in your system, which I find to be incredibly far behind the times. I mentioned something about this either on Twitter or another form, and was sent to your partner website that was a far cry for same *** couples. A separate-but-equal website, if you will. I continued to get e-mails about finding the perfect wedding dress even though I had requested to not receive them. Please do more for your same *** couples.

I get it - most weddings have a bride and the bride is the one that makes most of the decision, but nearly every single promotional photo on this website is a bride front and center.

If there was a setting on the profile next to the names of the two individuals getting married, then the settings and promotional material could be targeted to the couple.

If a photographer has a photo of two guys, that could be used, if they don't, then only the stock picture is used.

If I have missed this setting, please let me know.

I have included a mock-up.

The Knot is providing a truly great service to couples of all kinds, it would be great to see a few more gender customization options in your default categories. There are several sections that autofill "Bride's____ & Groom's____" And while I'm sure this is generally true of your demographic, it often felt like I was being spoken to as the "Bride." I'm a groom. A groom planning the wedding. Just a dude marrying another dude. I think it would help the overall experience feel a bit more authentic and that the Knot (or simply your code ;-) knows the couple they are helping. Thanks for your consideration!

I am also a bride marrying a bride and would appreciate an update on this issue. It seems like it has been a long time for something as easily fixed as using drop down menu options or inclusive language throughout the site.

I'm not gay, most people are not gay. I click on wedding photo ideas and see things that I do not relate to, namely same *** photo shoots. Why not make a LGBT geared option? Or is that too much work for the less than 1%? I see these photos and think are these two friends? Are these bridesmaids? Being gay is a subculture and 99% of us do not relate to it. I'm fine with people being gay but I'm not gay and gay wedding planning does not interest me. So stop mixing gay and straight articles and photos together. Just like gay people being stuck weeding through straight venues, photographers etc. and no I don't want to see two brides or grooms option in the straight website drop down menu. Just give these people their own gay friendly wedding planning experience.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another language related note, when you sign up, you are asked to enter your "Fiance's" name (note only one e). This assumes that the person creating the account is a straight female or gay male. Maybe displaying "Enter your Fiance(e)'s name" would be sufficient.

• shebejessshebejess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another bride to be marrying a bride and excited to be Mrs. & Mrs. Would love for your site to include us in its language/forms.

• JoshewhaJoshewha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My fiance and I are currently using both apps for our wedding but w keep having to delete stuff that doesn't apply us in the "To Do" section. Is there any hope that a double groom version might be available

• TravisTravis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like to see features toward male relationships. Neither of us wear make up or need to get our hair done. For the personal website part, having the date be listed as TBD would be nice.

• RonnieRonnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading all the comments I'm really disappointed that this hasn't been added

• RonnieRonnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to comment and say I'm just getting started with theknot.com as we just hired a wedding planner and your website should be more conducive to same-*** for Gays and Lesbians. Please add the option in dropdown menu or text entry fields for Groom and Groom etc.... I'm a QA Engineer and it isn't a high risk feature request to add this.

• MissyMissy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still a problem half a year later! My fiancée and I are considering using a different app called WedHappy since they ask "who is getting married" and "what are they wearing - suit/tux or dress". This is a much more conscientious of couples outside the hetersexist norm and makes us feel more comfortable.
        I would consider using the knot but my feedback about our issues changing "groom" and all the typical groom needs to "bride" and a second brides needs on the to do list, has not had a response.
        I think it's time for the knot to follow through with the claims to acceptance of same *** weddings!
        Thanks

• LizzyLizzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there! As someone also in a same-*** relationship, it'd be really awesome if the site wasn't just for hetero-couples. Even something that seems small like the cake toppers and the fact that we can't get a Mrs. and Mrs. (you can personalize with your name but not gender) cake topper. It just makes us feel really left out. The Knot is a pretty big deal in the wedding world, and it is disappointing we can't really use it because we're two ladies in love.

• Christina BrennerChristina Brenner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a same *** couple that just got engaged, Alicia and I have been having difficulty finding venues, caterers, bakeries, and the like, that are same *** supporters without having to email each separately to find out. If there was some way to have a widget that showed they were that would be helpful. Also, some marketing towards same *** couples might be good for your company.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base